Sunday, March 2, 2014

The importance of artist statements.

I remember putting up my first painting on eBay. I heard a story about a person whom sold a fly on eBay for $50, because he wrote out a long biography for the fly. I mimicked this for my first few sales, then I started experimenting on other methods. I went to an art show yesterday. I donated a large black and white painting to a charity that helps Burmese refugees. I dressed up in a nice suit. Because these were nice people. I had arrived a few hours late and didn't plan on staying for long. I went from painting to painting until I landed on mine. The event was a silent auction, and the prices on every painting were soaring. I witnessed a woman place a $1800 bid - as the first bid. Except mine... Mine had no bids. It hit me again, just like that fly on eBay. "Art does not sell itself", wise words from artbusiness.com. The context, the artist statement, the environment are all more important than the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts