Monday, August 5, 2013

Painting Outer Space

This series has drawn a large influence from my past artwork. I realize now; that the separate stylistic choices I have made, were merely training. This series combines the techniques that I have learned. All the commercial styles that I have approached; pure experimentation. Each painting starts off by arbitrarily picking space scenes and alignments. I then divide up the scene purely based on intuition. Allowing the oils to dry, I return to the pieces individually. Adding more details, and glazes increasing the aesthetic quality. I love every minute of it. 

Final Image: Like the Romantic paintings of the old west, this speaks of the awe and grandeur of our universe. In the middle ground, we have battleships. They aren't the sci-fi versions, this isn't a real scene, they serve as symbols. The violence, destruction, it is so small. A minor part of reality.




I layed down the first layers onto this work, at first I wanted to paint a mountain scene floating on a platform, with a pretty sunset behind it. The two planets aligned themselves, and it felt like I had no choice. I painted the clouds in, and its reflection. The image came together as a symmetrical image. Now for the best part; the spice. Often a painter would stop at the image below, a pretty night scene, with water reflections. As I usually work, if something fits together too well, then I must ruin it, splatter paint on it. Things that are too right, are boring. I began adding in some ships, 3, as to stay away from even numbers. I made two of them come out of the clouds. It was still too boring. What makes sense now. Some vertebrae looking tendrils coming from the water? perfect. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts